Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Goodbye Pukey Pink!

Let me start this post by saying that I really do like, nay, I love pink. But not all pinks are created equal, you see. I love the sort of pink that mixes with grays to create something flirty, modern, and unmistakably feminine. Look here:


Emily Procter via
Lonny Mag Oct 2012 pg. 130

Lovely, right?

Then there's what I like to call "pukey pink." See here:

Before

Having a baby girl means I am bombarded with items like these. So what to do? I went ahead and purchased some i-Dye by Jacquard. I read up a little bit and understood that there are two basic types of dyes: one for cotton, and one for polyesters. Since most of Beanie's clothes are cotton, I went with a color that would look good next any remaining pink or white in the ribbons and logos that are polysynthetic. I chose Modern Mango, or as it's formally called 'Gold Ochre.' (My name is better.)

Since none of these items cost more than $1 each (I hit Goodwill and other resale events like mad), I was willing to experiment. That's not to say, however, that I wasn't crossing my fingers when I did this:


Here are the results:

Much better!


Happy, bright, and hip

Things didn't go perfectly, though. There was some splotchy-ness in one of the sweaters, which could have been avoided had I pre-mixed the dye with salt and hot water first.


FAIL

All is NOT lost, though. Since I have two of the same sweater, my plan was to re-dye one of them. --Probably a darker color. Maybe a deep eggplant-y purple? This was so easy to do and overall things came out so beautiful that I have a feeling I won't be able to stop myself from doing this many times over.

Pukey pink be gone! Viva the bold and the beautiful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment