Monday, August 27, 2012

(Temporary) Derailment

I traded my colon for this baby. Not a bad deal.

To all two people who follow this blog, it was clear that I was on a hiatus of sorts. I wish I could say I didn't have time for blogging  because I was vacationing in Hawaii or something, but instead I got derailed by disease. Turns out I paid a pretty high price for my baby girl as this latest pregnancy triggered an autoimmune response that was attacking my colon. This condition is called Ulcerative Colitis. It's painful and humiliating.

As a doctor, being a patient is very difficult to accept. In fact, when my symptoms began many months ago I spoke about my symptoms and lab results in the third person. Viewed separately, I could connect the symptoms I was having to the correct diagnosis, but I was in total denial that such a condition would be a part of my life.

Well, it is. I was officially diagnosed on 8/6/12 And I've accepted that now.

Moving forward, this blog becomes even more important to me. If you look back at my posts you can see that I really, really looked forward to this chapter of my life. I'm done with my training, I passed my boards, and I have two beautiful children at home. I had every intention of soaking up all of it, creating joy and beauty around me, and seeking out new and interesting things. There is something about blogging that motivates me to do more, likely because a gap in posts points to the possibility that I haven't done something worth sharing, and the ability to look back through the archives and reflect on happy times is all the positive feedback I need to keep it up.

Also, for a while I've been meaning to launch another blog that discusses disease, and those who live with certain ailments and yet rise above them. My recent struggles are definitely a catalyst for that so stay tuned.

All of this is to say that, yes, something cruddy happened, but Dr. Daily is back and she's going to make some freakin' awesome lemonade out of the lemons handed to her. I mean, just look at me in that pencil skirt, do I look sick to you? That's right.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I'm going to read this blog too! Smart AND funny-- definitely unique.

    ReplyDelete