Sunday, November 30, 2014

Other Happenings in 2014

It helps to do this, you know? It helps to look back and be grateful for all the things we were able to do in spite of my disease. It's nice to be reminded that I'm advancing in knowledge, raising my kids in a thoughtful way, and keeping family traditions alive.


Don't ask me how this happened, but I now have a kindergartner. Here he is with my mom, who was helping me out that day, probably for health reasons. . . Oh! Back to positivity. I really enjoy our walks to school together. Leepo was SO ready to be in the classroom and he loves his teacher and classmates. He is now a voracious reader and we're so proud of him. 


We're kind of closing in on purchasing needed furniture items, but we've developed such a strong habit of visiting furniture outlets and resale shops that we just can't quit looking. That's not to mention the many enduring friendships we've made over the years talking to furniture-enthusiasts and sellers. Our week is not complete unless we're sitting in some teak chair, catching up with our friends, and convincing others that lamp/coffee table/side-chair is in need of a good home. 


On the topic of traditions, I've been going to the St. Charles Scarecrow fest since I was 9 years old! I've been able to take my kids and it's so sweet to see them experience the simple wonders I enjoyed as a child. Here's Homegirl (previously known as Beanie) with a large gourd she referred to as "Snakey."


2014 was a good year for having guests stay with us, even for weeks at a time. Some people say they stink like fish after a few days, but we honestly love our guests and miss them when they leave. Admittedly, the best are the ones who cook, clean, and paint our house while they're here. Ahem. ;)

MSI in the background


The kids are more into science these days and that makes my heart leap with joy. We got membership to the Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) and I marvel at what a treasure that place is. In the summer, we walk from the MSI to the local beach and we're so grateful we live near the great city of Chicago.

Because I never know what each week will bring (stupid colon), I've gotten better at seizing any and all opportunities to do field-trips with the kids. Doing so has made me more purposeful and the results are fantastic. In the last picture, you see my son learning about squid and how they're used for research in the fascinating realm of biofilms. Since that time, he's said that he wants to be a scientist, maybe even an astronaut. I love this age for the intellectual curiosity it brings and the fun to be had with it.

You guys, when I'm not in the bathroom, I'm a pretty interactive and great mom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment